Join the Brampton Dementia Friendly Choir - Singing Together. It's free. Open to people living with dementia and their carers. Please see information leaflet Here
Singing together is on Wednesday Sept 18th, Oct 9th, Nov 20th, Dec 18th 6.30-7.30pm at Brampton Community Centre, High Street, Brampton, PE28 4TH
Reconnect Social Group:
The reconnect Social Group welcomes all people living with dementia and memory loss together with their carers. Please see attached leaflet HERE giving details of the upcoming events.
The reconnect Social Group are looking for volunteers a few hours a month to support the successful Brampton Dementia Friendly Community. Please see attached poster HERE for more information
Love To Move sessions:
An age and dementia friendly Love To Move sessions are being held locally. Please see leaflet HERE
More information can be found using the link Love To Move Brochure
So what does our Love to Move exercise programme involve & how does it benefit people?
- It is an ambulant or chair-based cognitive enhancement gymnastic exercise programme, so people can get involved even if they are non-ambulant.
- It uses music along with a mixture of carefully designed low intensity exercises to get people moving and having fun. Increasing the heart rate and respiration to improve cardio vascular fitness and well-being in complete safety, as well as increasing muscle strength.
- It incorporates movement patterns which are bilaterally asymmetrical (where the left side of the body’s movements do not mirror the right side of the body’s movements.) This is understood to benefit older people and those with dementia and mild cognitive impairment, by enabling the left side & right side of the brain to process information independently, thus improving cognitive function, coordination and the ability to process and carry out activities of daily living more independently. This is one of the key components and supports neuroplasticity.
- Music is carefully selected to enhance memory, improve rhythm, co-ordination and movement patterns. Muscle memory through movement patterns and visualisation are encouraged, as well as a lot of laughter and fun.
- The sessions are 1 hour in duration and they are delivered weekly by a qualified deliverer with a working knowledge of delivering engaging activities for older people.
- The sessions are group sessions with all the benefits group work offers but also incorporates some partner work, where participants can enjoy interacting and communicating with each other or their loved ones whilst doing the activity. There can be an element of 1:1 support where necessary to enable someone to be able to take part, with the support of volunteers or the deliverer.
- Overall the programme uses a mixture of fun engaging activities which stimulate social interaction as well as providing cognitive, emotional and functional benefits for participants.